Homeschooling the Child With Autism
Answers to the Top Questions Parents and Professionals AskBook - 2009 | First edition
Homeschooling the Child with Autism
This practical, highly accessible guide answers parents' and professionals' questions about teaching children with autism spectrum disorders at home. The book helps parents decide whether to homeschool and guides them through the process of beginning and maintaining an effective homeschool program. All the essential questions are addressed, such as:
- How do you know if homeschooling is right for you and your child?
- Which homeschool program is best for the child's learning style and needs?
- How should a family get started?
- What is the best way to address social, behavioral, and organizational skills when teaching a child with ASD?
- When should you transition back to a traditional public school setting?
The book also contains tips and suggestions from real-life parents who have successfully homeschooled their children with ASD and includes lists of helpful resources for homeschoolers.
Praise for Homeschooling the Child with Autism
"Practical advice and a wealth of resources.…This book provides a beacon of hope to families struggling with educational options for their child."SALLY OZONOFF, PH.D., endowed professor, University of California, Davis, M.I.N.D. Institute
"A must-read for parents and teachers who need guidance and encouragement while teaching children with ASD."CATHY STENZEL, mother of a son with autism